St Georges Caramelised Chilli Beef Steaks
Quick but impressive meal for two. Sirloin, rib eye or rump steaks with a chilli glaze.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 30ml/2tbsp light soy sauce
- 45ml/3tbsp soft brown sugar
- 15ml/1tbsp cold water
- Prepare the chilli dressing; heat half the oil in a large shallow frying pan and cook the garlic, shallots and chilli for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly syrupy and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized griddle or frying pan, brush the steaks with the remaining oil on both sides and cook according to your preference. Leave to rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice the beef on the diagonal and arrange over vegetable rice. Pour over the sauce and serve immediately with a green salad.