Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Great for kids and ready in half an hour, beef mince meatballs in a homemade sweet and sour sauce.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- 25g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and diced
For the sweet and sour sauce:
- 150ml fresh pineapple juice
- 1-2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Put the mince, seasoning, garlic, chives and cranberries in a large bowl. Mix together and shape into 20 small meatballs roughly the diameter of a two pence coin.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and dry fry the meatballs for 3-4 minutes on both sides until brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the peppers, pineapple juice, soy and Worcestershire sauce, purée and vinegar. Stir gently, increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- Return the meatballs to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornflour with a little cold water to form a thin paste and add to the pan with the meatballs. Cook, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the meatballs with herby mashed potatoes or cooked pasta.