Meat Feast Soup with Couscous
Hearty warming meal in a bowl for hungry mouths. Beef mince meatballs cooked in a tomato based soup with cous cous
- 375g/12oz lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint or parsley
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp olive oil
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 850ml/1½pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 175g/6oz Savoy or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 50g/2oz dried plain couscous
- 50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Put the mince, onion, garlic, herbs and seasoning in a large bowl. Mix together and shape into twenty to twenty-four 2.5cm (1inch) balls.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the meatballs for 4-6 minutes until brown. Spoon off any excess fat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and couscous. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the grated cheese, if used and serve immediately.