Piquant Steaks with Warm Roasted Vegetables
A perfect recipe for steak lovers. Sirloin, picanha or rib-eye steaks are marinated in shallots, garlic seasoning and Worcestershire sauce then grilled and served with roasted vegetables.
Based on a 2cm/¾-in thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 x 175g/6oz lean sirloin, picanha or rib-eye steaks
For the Piquant Marinade
- :60ml/4tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Roasted Vegetables
- :400g/14oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 x 220g can chick peas, drained
- 50g/2oz baby spinach leaves
For the Piquant Dressing
- :45ml/3tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the steaks in a large, non-metallic shallow dish. Add the marinade ingredients and coat the steaks on both sides. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7, 220°C, 425°F. Prepare the roasted vegetables; put the vegetables in a large non-stick roasting tray, season and drizzle with the oil. Roast for 35-40 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally.
- Preheat the grill to moderate. Remove the steaks from the marinade and cook according to your preference. Remove and set aside on a warm plate to rest.
- Take the roasted vegetables from the oven and transfer to a large bowl. Add the chick peas and the spinach. Mix the piquant dressing ingredients together and spoon over the salad.
- Serve the steaks with the warm salad.