Steak Topped with Mushrooms
Picanha, sirloin or rump steaks topped with a delicious combination of freshly chopped mushrooms, softened butter, garlic,soft cheese with herbs, a splash of white wine, hard grated cheese, such as Parmesan and freshly chopped parsley then grilled to perfection. Gorgeous!
- 2 lean picanha, sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- For the Mushroom Topping
- :25g/1oz butter
- 75g/3oz fresh mushrooms, cleaned and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp white wine
- 30ml/2tbsp soft cheese with herbs
- 15ml/1tbsp hard grated cheese, e.g. Parmesan
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To prepare the topping; heat the butter in a frying pan, suitable for use under the grill and cook the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes or until soft.Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until the wine has evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl, add the cheeses and stir gently.
- Heat a non-stick (suitable for use under a grill) pan until hot, season the steak and brush with the oil on both sides and cook according to your preference.
- Spoon the topping over the steaks, transfer the pan to a preheated moderate grill and cook for 1-2 minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Transfer the steaks to warmed plates, garnish with the parsley and serve with salad leaves and potato wedges.