Steak with Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad
An unusual salad dish with rump steak, red onions, Brussels sprouts, chillies, good balsamic vinegar and thin green beans. This salad is packed with flavour, but light on calories.
based on a 2cm steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean rump steaks (weighing approximately 150g each)
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 200g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and blanched
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 150g topped and blanched thin green beans
- Preheat the grill to moderate.
- Put the steaks on a plate or chopping board, season and coat with the peppercorns on both sides. Cook the steaks under the grill, according to your preference.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the Brussels sprouts and chillies. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes, or until the Brussels are tender. Add the greens beans to the pan.
- Spoon the salad on a warm plate evenly and arrange the steak on top of the salad.
- Serve with crusty Granary bread.