Beef Caesar Salad
A summer salad dish featuring cooked sirloin or rump steak combined with the classic caesar salad ingredients - cos lettuce, croutons, and a delicious dressing made with mustard, lemon juice olive oil, grated Parmesan and anchovy sauce
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 450g/1lb lean rump or sirloin steak
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 45ml/3tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Cos or Romaine lettuce, leaves separated and roughly chopped
- 75g/3oz prepared bread croutons
- 10ml/2tsp Dijon mustard
- 30ml/2tbsp lemon juice
- 60ml/4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 30m/2tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 5ml/1tsp anchovy sauce
- Extra fresh Parmesan shavings
- In a small bowl mix together the chives, seasoning and olive oil. Use to brush the steaks on both sides. Set aside for 5 minutes
- Cook the steaks under a preheated grill or prepared barbecue according to your preference. Transfer to a plate and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Slice on the diagonal and place in a large salad bowl.
- Add the lettuce leaves and the croûtons.
- Prepare the dressing; put all the ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake well.
- Drizzle over the salad, garnish with extra Parmesan and serve immediately.