Beef with Caramelised Onions and Tomatoes
A quick mid week steak meal ready in thirty minutes. Cooked rib-eye or sirloin steaks cooked and served with caramelised onon and tomato sauce. Serve with creamy mash and seasonal vegetables.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean rib-eye or sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g prepared caramelised onion chutney or fruit chutney
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 675g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 375g turnips, peeled and diced
- 50ml/2floz single cream or milk
- 25g butter
- To prepare the mash, boil the potatoes and turnips for 15-20 minutes, drain, season and mash with the cream or milk and butter.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick griddle or frying pan, season the steaks and cook according to your preference. Set aside to rest on a warm plate.
- Meanwhile, add the caramelised onion or fruit chutney to the pan with the water. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Add the parsley.
- Serve the steaks with the caramelised onions and tomato sauce, mash or potato wedges and seasonal vegetables or a crisp salad.