Minted Lamb Chops with Cucumber Relish
Classic combination of lamb and mint combine for this supper. Lamb chops and cutlets in a minted marinade with a fresh cucumber relish.
- 8 lean lamb loin chops or cutlets
- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground mace
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground allspice
- 1.25ml/¼tsp juniper berries, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp currants
- 45ml/3tbsp oil
- 2 large cucumber, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm/¾ inch cubes
- 6 late season tomatoes quartered
- 150ml/¼pint white wine
- 200ml/7floz good, hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 handful freshly chopped marjoram or flat-parsley
- To prepare the marinade; mix all the ingredients together. Place the lamb in a shallow dish, spoon over the marinade and coat on both sides. Cover and marinate for up to 1 hour.
- To prepare the relish; heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the shallots for 2-3 minutes. Add the cucumber, nutmeg and seasoning and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and thyme. Cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cook the chops under a preheated grill for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve the chops with the relish and new potatoes.